Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Summer of Aloe

With summer already in full effect with these past couple of hot summer days, those days can be hard on your skin and leave you with a unwanted souvenir... a sunburn.  Over the 4th of July weekend I was one of those lucky people that came home with some very random sunburns on my shoulders, on the back of my right leg (no where else), and the tops of my feet.

Here are some helpful tips on how to deal with those less than desirable sunburns:
  • Take vitamin E to reduce inflammation from your sunburn.
  • Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
  • Eating food high in vitamin C.
  • Sliced cucumber are not only good for cocktails but they soothe and extract the sting.
  • Take a nice cool shower.
  • Avoid using harsh soaps and perfumes on the sensitive sunburned areas.
  • Keep your skin moisturized with aloe and Shea Butter.

Here are some kitchen remedies that I was able to find online through numerous websites:
  •   Mix lavender oil and water together in a small spray bottle and keep it in your refrigerator.  Mist your skin though out the day to soothe the burn.
  • Aloe Vera is your best friend, try filling a ice tray with aloe vera and freezing it.  Ru b the frozen ice cubes onto the burned area.  (I don't know why I did not think of this sooner)
  • Mix baking soda into your bath and soak for about 15 minutes, giving you skin a chance to soak it all in.  Let your skin air dry instead of drying off with a towel.
If anyone had any other tips or home remedies, I would love to hear them.


No comments: